November 19, 2019
Why do we need purified water for humidification ?
In natural water and tap water, hardness components such as calcium and salt components such as sodium or silica are dissolved. This may cause several problems for industrial machinery or products using this kind of water.
This is the reason why many industries use purified water instead of tap water. The purity of water is generally expressed by the conductivity of this water ( ease of passing electricity ). Indeed, if the water is charged with residual components such as minerals, it will allow the electricity to pass through more easily.
What is purified water?
Purified water is water that went through a process meant to remove all impurities. Indeed, even if the water is colorless and transparent, it contains multiple components.
For example :
- Miscellaneous matter (garbage, dust, clay, iron sand, etc.)
- Aquatic life (bacteria, microorganisms, etc.)
- Organic matter (algae or trees decomposed by the action of microorganisms, organic detergents leaked into nature, etc.)
- Inorganic salts (hardness components such as calcium, salinity, dissolved iron, etc.)
- Gas (carbon dioxide, oxygen, hydrogen sulfide, etc.)
The main properties of purified water
- It produces less residual components. Indeed, if the water contains many mineral components, a scale formation will happen and disturb the smooth operating of your machines. When it comes to humidification, scale formation has a negative impact that leads to reduced efficiency of the heat exchanger, increased energy consumption, clogging of pipes and nozzles.
- There is also a risk of organic particles or bacteria in the water, which can represent a health hazard. Since purified water has very few impurities, it will solve most of these problems.
- Purified water is a good solvent. Indeed, it can easily dissolve various substances and many gases from the air. Also, it is widely used in the process of cleaning impurities since it attracts particles.
How can we clean water?
There are several methods to obtain purified water. The one you pick depends on the results you are looking for.
Distillation: Distillation involves boiling the water and then using natural condensation to store the vapor into a clean container, thus leaving the solid components behind. This process is quite expensive for industrial use.
Deionization: This is a process using chemicals to get rid of almost all the minerals ions such as sodium, calcium, sulfate, etc.
Reverse Osmosis: Reverse osmosis (RO) is a water purification process that uses a partially permeable membrane to remove ions, unwanted molecules and larger particles from drinking water. In reverse osmosis, an applied pressure is used to overcome osmotic pressure. Reverse osmosis can remove many types of dissolved and suspended particles, such as minerals, organic matter or bacteria from water, and is used in both industrial processes and the production of potable water.
What are the common applications of purified water?
There are multiple industrial applications for water :
- Humidification water
- Electronic parts washing water
- Boiler water
- Scale preventing water
- Drinking water
- Medical applications
Why do we need pure water for humidification?
With our humidification systems, we recommend a reverse osmosis unit to purify your water, linked with a UV lamp to destroy any bacteria left. As a matter of fact, water used for humidification must be very pure to avoid any hazard :
- Minerals particles can cause the pipes and nozzles to clog. They also could affect the production process ( electronic devices, precise manufacturing, paint, paper, etc..)
- All types of particles still present in the water can increase the risk of respiratory issues and allergies.
- Finally, bacteria can develop if the water is not purified, leading to an increased risk of infectious diseases.
- As seen in this article, the right level of humidification brings several health benefits when used with purified water.
Purified water is the key to a sustainable and safe humidification system and you should take it into consideration if you are looking for such a system.
Do you want additional information? Are you interested in a humidification system?
Don’t hesitate to contact our engineers.
LEO CHAMBRETTE – IKEUCHI EUROPE B.V.