December 21, 2020
Why humidity prevents virus spread
Prevent virus spread with humidification
Recent research has shown that humidity plays an important part in preventing virus spread. The Japanese universities, Riken and Kobe University, conducted a reasearch to see what the effects of humidity are towards the covid virus. This test was conducted in a room where there was no window ventilation. By using a simulation run by the supercomputer, Fugaku, the researchers could see what effects humidification has on the spread of droplets when sitting in a diner.
These were the main findings:
- At 30% or lower humidity level (at 1.8 meter) all droplets of a person who coughed, would travel to the person sitting on the opposite side of the table. Therefore, this would end up in a transmission of the virus, if the person was infected.
- At 60% or higher humidity level, most of the droplets released by the coughing person will drop down and not travel towards the opposite side. The higher level of humidity suppress the contaminated droplets to the ground. Therefore, this reduces the spread and the risk of transmission.
- The research showed that humidification has a clear effect on preventing virus spread.
The optimal humidity level
- It is important to note that with a too high humidity level , there is a risk of mold development. Mold is very unhealthy and can cause allergic reactions or worse. Therefore, it has been studied that the best relative humidity level to have indoors is between 40~60%.
- Increasing the humidity level itself is not sufficient to prevent the transmission of the virus. As with any other winter viruses, it is important to also maintain a good air ventilation.
To see the simulation images, click on the link below from the NHK WORLD-JAPAN video:
How can IKEUCHI help?
We develop spraying systems to be used for humidification purposes. Our most iconic product, the Dry Fog Humidifier “AKIMist®”, is a humidification unit, but it can also be used for disinfection. By using compressed air together with purified water, the AKIMist® is able to create very fine fog without any leakage. The water droplets produced by the AKIMist® are so small that it does not wet the surrounding objects. Therefore, it is called “Dry Fog”.
To read more about how our products can also be used for disinfection purpose, you can also take a look at the following article:
To find out which model is most suitable in your situation, please contact one of our engineers. Please not that we do not provide the disinfectant liquid to spray. We will find the best solution of spraying system for your application.